What's in a name?
I used to be one of the kids who hated their name. I'd always wished that I have a different name, especially since it's weird how my name is Athirah Nor, instead of Nor Athirah like normal people who has nor in their name. I don't even like the Nor at the first place. Nor is just too masculine, Nur would be so much more fitting, or so I thought. There are a many other reasons why I didn't like my name:
1. When I was 12, I was the head librarian in school (ceycey). I was making my rounds in the library annoying people to be quiet as usual and then this one kid from Standard 4 came up to me and screamed, "Athirah! Nooooooooooooooooooooooor!"
Dammit.
2. I won something that I'm very proud of when I was in Form 3. But my certificate says Athirah Bt. Nor, instead of Athirah Nor Bt. Kamarudin. I had to go through the hassle to get my cert changed, I even went to the state's office. Bengang ok. All those sweat and tears.
3. People generally assume that I'm related to Adibah Noor. Not that I mind, but really?
4. Again, the Athirah Nor part instead of Nor Athirah. Too attention-seeking.
5. My US application process was horrible just because of my name. I wanted to get rid of "Bt" but I couldn't because it's part for my passport/visa aka official identification. I suppose I was inconsistent of how I'd like to be called by thus the confusions. All my frustrations were actually caused on my own :/
I thought my name will be much more nicer with just Athirah Kamarudin, but now I am so grateful that I didn't omit it. I'm very proud to tell people the significance of my name, and I'm not as annoyed as I was back then when I have to explain what's Binti exactly. I'm happy to tell them that my last name is actually my father's name rather a family name. I'm Athirah, daughter of Kamarudin.
It's a huge confidence booster too. I've been feeling down for the past couple of months and my biggest comfort is actually my name. People call me "the special and noble one" all the time! I feel stupid for even having the thought of changing my name. Now I'm starting to get used to the Nor part too, which means Light. I realize that it gives a lot of significance to my Dad's name: the Moon of Deen. I love how his name explains how he is entirely. He reflects the main source of Light, the Deen, when it is all dark. And I, his daughter, am his light rays and continuation. And I, am also special. I appreciate my dad's intention of arranging my name as it is now too Gives a kick to it somehow hehe. And my parents are very smart to name my twin sister Amirah, a princess, and that's entirely how she is.
I have to thank my parents one day for naming me this way. It is truly one of the greatest gift and I may not be exactly what my name depicts but I know I am motivated to be one day.
1. When I was 12, I was the head librarian in school (ceycey). I was making my rounds in the library annoying people to be quiet as usual and then this one kid from Standard 4 came up to me and screamed, "Athirah! Nooooooooooooooooooooooor!"
Dammit.
2. I won something that I'm very proud of when I was in Form 3. But my certificate says Athirah Bt. Nor, instead of Athirah Nor Bt. Kamarudin. I had to go through the hassle to get my cert changed, I even went to the state's office. Bengang ok. All those sweat and tears.
3. People generally assume that I'm related to Adibah Noor. Not that I mind, but really?
4. Again, the Athirah Nor part instead of Nor Athirah. Too attention-seeking.
5. My US application process was horrible just because of my name. I wanted to get rid of "Bt" but I couldn't because it's part for my passport/visa aka official identification. I suppose I was inconsistent of how I'd like to be called by thus the confusions. All my frustrations were actually caused on my own :/
I thought my name will be much more nicer with just Athirah Kamarudin, but now I am so grateful that I didn't omit it. I'm very proud to tell people the significance of my name, and I'm not as annoyed as I was back then when I have to explain what's Binti exactly. I'm happy to tell them that my last name is actually my father's name rather a family name. I'm Athirah, daughter of Kamarudin.
It's a huge confidence booster too. I've been feeling down for the past couple of months and my biggest comfort is actually my name. People call me "the special and noble one" all the time! I feel stupid for even having the thought of changing my name. Now I'm starting to get used to the Nor part too, which means Light. I realize that it gives a lot of significance to my Dad's name: the Moon of Deen. I love how his name explains how he is entirely. He reflects the main source of Light, the Deen, when it is all dark. And I, his daughter, am his light rays and continuation. And I, am also special. I appreciate my dad's intention of arranging my name as it is now too Gives a kick to it somehow hehe. And my parents are very smart to name my twin sister Amirah, a princess, and that's entirely how she is.
I have to thank my parents one day for naming me this way. It is truly one of the greatest gift and I may not be exactly what my name depicts but I know I am motivated to be one day.
Comments
Post a Comment